The dates in season all around Saudi Arabia now .we use dates alot (frozen,fresh,dried) in our recipes especially in arabic desserts .and we use it alot in Ramadan to break the fast (Following the example of Prophet Muhammad).
For Crispy Dates Square:
1 Kilogram seedless dates*.
1 Cup tea biscuit, crushed. Divided (1/3 for mix, 1/3 for sprinkle, 1/3 extra for coat)
1/3 cup toasted almonds or pistachio.
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or 100g unsweetened chocolate bar.
3 Tablespoons rose water.
1 cup brown crispy rice or corn flakes or combination of the two.
2 teaspoons ground cardamom.
1) Heat the dates in pan and stir about 3 minutes; until dates are soft (you can do this step at microwave).
2) Remove the dates from heat and transfer in to large bowl.
3) Knead dates with hand .and add 1/3cup crushed biscuit, than add remaining ingredients, mix well.
4)Grease 20cm by 30cm lamington pan, cover base and 2 opposite sides with sheet of baking paper, sprinkle one-third of biscuit than spread mixture evenly into pan.
Cover, refrigerate 3 hours.
5) Turn dates mixture onto board, cut into squares to serve.
6) Coat squares in extra biscuit.
7)Serve it with arabic gulf coffee .
Storage: in refrigerate.
*if you use very dry dates you can add little water.